Thursday, March 24, 2011

Wholemeal bread

Now, being a nice daughter, I left the soda bread at Mum and Dad's. But not without a sense of longing.
I really wanted wholemeal bread. One of the things that's been lucky about the whole 'losing weight' thing is that I actively like brown bread and salad.
So I decided I would use up the wholemeal flour in the cupboard with a loaf. I've decided I need experiment a bit more, branch out, see what works and what doesn't. It can only improve my cooking, right?
I simply decided I'd take my normal bread recipe and make it 50/50 with wholemeal and white, because most recipes for brown bread, I'd noticed, do that.
I also knew (from where? How much of my thinking is influenced by 'something I read somewhere'?) that wholemeal doesn't rise very well, so I upped the yeast from four-and-a-half teaspoons to five, and let it rise for three hours.
By that point it was just level with the top of the pan, so I put it in.
I know I shouldn't cut bread while it's still very hot, as it's not very solid. I DON'T CARE.
It was all right hot, but I noticed a tendency I didn't like when it cooled. It was very dry. Very, very dry, and sometimes most of it just fell right off while I holding it.
I think next time I'll add honey, because 'I'm sure I read that somewhere'.
For whatever reason, it mellowed over the next couple of days, but is still a long way from being the wholemeal recipe.
What are we calling this damn award? Right: 'make again with changes'.

No comments:

Post a Comment