Monday, November 15, 2010

I cooked chard!

What was it like? I'll tell you when I don't tip a ton of turmeric in it.
It was this couscous recipe, without raisins (another thing, along with nuts and mushrooms, which will be unceremoniously dropped from any of my recipes).
I didn't do the lemon oil, which I think may have been my major mistake. I detest it when people say things like 'I left out the chilli, and then it didn't taste of anything' in recipe comments, so I hold my hands up to that one.
I think I like the flavour of red chard stalks, but there was something in there - the green chard stalks possibly - that tasted NASTY. The leaves themselves I can take or leave. I do apologise for the pun.
But, as I said, I tipped far too much turmeric in by accident, so my reactions are coloured (oh, sorry, there's another one) by that.
Verdict on chard: jury still out.

ETA: Chard's like spinach, in that the easiest way to drain it is simply to squeeze it in your hands. I did look a little like I'd murdered someone, though, as the water comes out coloured a vivid red...
Also, if I had time to make courgette fritters to fill myself up, I totally would be. Not a ringing endorsement for chard.

No comments:

Post a Comment