Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pork with shallots, fennel seeds and sage

I'm on a huge economy drive right now, and trying to pick up relatively cheap bits of meat (that then don't cost me that much in electricity to cook).
I saw a pork loin that would feed Andy and me for £1.64, so I picked it up, and went looking for a good recipe.
The one I found was essentially very simple - chop shallots and sage, combine them with fennel seeds and butter and stuff the joint with them.
One of the essential things I learnt was 'supervise your sous chef'. I had just popped into the living room, mostly to reassure myself on where to cut the cavity, when Andy cut the cavity in the bottom.
This is not ideal when a major constituent of your stuffing is butter. I could envisage it all dribbling out and frizzling on the bottom of the pan.
Also, I don't own any string. I'm an ex-Scout leader, and I don't own any string. We might have succeeded in re-rolling the joint if we'd had lots of string. In the end we used barbecue skewers, so the joint had more pikes than the Battle of Bosworth Field, and put it skin side down.
Then we detached the crackling and left that in the oven, while we ate the joint.
I don't know if it was the butter dribbling into the joint, or we just hit the exact point at which it was juiciest, but the joint was lovely and soft, and the stuffing quite subtle but tasty.
The other thing I really like about this is its full of things you probably have round the house, rather than say, sausagemeat, which I never do.
So, it's 'in the repertoire'.

3 comments:

  1. Another fun and cheap pork roast is a fresh ham (not a whole one, but a wide slice off of one called a "rouleau de jambon" in France). Twenty four hours ahead slice off the fat and skin on three sides; spread garlic, salt and whatever you like on the meat; then fasten the skin back over with toothpicks (or barbeque picks ;-))and salt again. Cover well and keep in fridge. Next day,roast with skin on top slowly for a long time. Take off "crackling" and serve bits alongside slices of meat. Leftovers are great!
    Um, also the grammar police want to warn you to watch out for when it's "Andy and I" and when it's "Andy and me"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cough. Silently corrected. Thank you.

    I wonder if that's what we called 'gammon', which is nicely cheap if bought small enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure gammon gets crackling.

    ReplyDelete