Friday, May 27, 2011

Roasted garlic and tomato pasta

It's Kitchen Daily's fault. I follow them on Twitter, which meant this popped up in my timeline: 'What's for dinner tonight: Roasted Garlic and Herb Shrimp with Spaghetti'.
Ooh, I thought, but when I clicked on the link, it involved prepared sauce. I'm not bothered about prepared sauce, to be honest, because I can probably replicate it cheaper and, anyway, this was a US-only brand. 
My brain kept circling back to the roasted garlic. I finally resolved to roast some garlic and just mash it in a simple tomato sauce.
It's cooking right now, but I may have ruined it by throwing in too much balsamic vinegar. (I don't have any wine open). I must learn to pour things in with my dominant hand.  I do this quite a lot, so I've gone heavy on the pepper and really mashed the garlic, and it appears I may have got away with it.
Also, in an exciting move, I opened a new shape of pasta. I was actually, properly excited, which clearly indicates that I need to get out more. It's gigli, which the packet says 'goes well with a cheese sauce'. I would imagine it does, because I can imagine the cheese just lying heavily on the curlices. But the pasta thesaurus says 'hearty sauces', so I think I'm covered. By the way, gigli means 'lily', which I think is rather nice. 


It turned that, yes, the balsamic was over-powering, but the roasted garlic was good, so I'll make it again and try not to stuff it up this time. 

3 comments:

  1. They have started selling "gigli" pasta in France, too. We ate at the home of some Italians last week and had spaghetti served with langoustine flesh, lime juice and olive oil. It was very good (served al dente) and so unusual we couldn't guess what the lime juice was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Balsamic is an overpowering fruit. But I still love it, especially drizzled on buffalo mozzarella, vine tomatoes and fresh basil. Yum.

    ReplyDelete